Labor Support Doula Care
A labor support doula offers continuous physical and emotional support and guides women, and their partners, in making informed choices to have the birth of THEIR choice
All of our doulas are trained and certified (or working towards certification) through DONA International. Our BirthFocus Directors and experienced doulas offer ongoing mentoring services for all levels of doulas and a strong community of support. We provide continuous education and advanced training for our doulas with a focus on enhancing the skills needed to provide emotional support, physical support, and informational guidance.
Our doula services are separated into levels, based on the number of births a doula has attended. We believe strongly that every woman who wants a doula deserves a doula!
All BirthFocus labor support doulas, regardless of level, offer the same services
- Phone/email support from the date of hire
- On-call services from 37 weeks until the time you give birth
- One to two prenatal visits, in your home, to discuss your hopes and expectations of your birthing experience and to help you create your own narrative for the birth experience of your choice
- Continuous informational, emotional, and physical support from the time your labor begins until your baby is born
- Ongoing support for at least the first two hours after your baby is born to assist with the initial transition and breastfeeding
- A post-partum visit during which the doula will come to your home to offer referrals, if needed, within a few days to a week of your return home
Rates for Doula Services (in NYC):
- Apprentice doula – Level 1 - 0 to 3 births – $400
- Apprentice doula – Level 2 - 4-10 births- $800
- Seasoned doula – Level 1 - 11-25 births – $1200
- Seasoned doula – Level 2 - 26-50 births – $1600
- Seasoned doula – Level 3 - 51-99 births – $1900
- Expert doula – 100 or more births – $2200
**For information on Austin doula care, please visit the Austin page from our main menu**
Our team approach
When meeting doulas please keep in mind that we offer a team approach and ask that you hire a PRIMARY doula and a BACKUP doula. Although we pride ourselves on having our primary doulas attend your birth we are also aware that, at times, there are situations that arise in everyone’s life and in these cases we have a backup doula to attend your birth.
Meet our doulas
We offer two ways for connecting with our doulas; either by attending one of our regular complimentary “Eat, Drink, DOULA” events OR through a private and complimentary meet and greet in a mutually convenient location. Visit our calendar of events to find information about our next “Eat, Drink, DOULA” open house or contact us to make arrangements for a private meet and greet.
Hiring a doula
Once you’ve had an initial in-person meeting with one of our doulas (or a few) – either through a private meet and greet OR at one of our “Eat, Drink, DOULA” complimentary open houses – we invite you to choose your primary and your backup doula (for one flat rate). The next step is to download the Doula Agreement (from the sidebar of this page) and mail in the first and last page along with either the deposit ($600/$400 for doula-in-training) or the full payment (depending on doula’s level) if you are at or beyond your 34th week. Once we receive this, we will be in touch via a confirmation of services email and you may begin your prenatal visit/s with your doula!
Please mail all checks to:
1210 Rosewood Ave.
Austin, TX 78702
**If you’d like to pay by credit card you may do so below; paying by credit card includes a 2.9% processing fee. If paying by credit card, please scan the first/last pages to email@example.com (or mail in the agreement)**