In 2001 BirthFocus was founded – in partnership – with Beth Israel Medical Center in an effort to create a hospital based doula program which would allow women to have more access to doulas and to meet them collectively in a supported professional environment.
This goal continues to be achieved through our wonderful community partnerships in NYC. Our partners are crucial in allowing us to interface with expecting couples on a regular basis and to educate the NYC community about the benefits of having a doula during birth and beyond. We continue to be grateful for each of our partners and highly recommend their services to all!
Our Community Partners
- “Eat, Drink, DOULA” – First Wednesday of each month (6:30-8pm)
- Breastfeeding Cafe (1st and 3rd Thurs each month) and ongoing breastfeeding support from IBCLC’s
- Located on E. 17th and 1st Ave.
- “Eat, Drink, DOULA” – Third Sunday of each month (3pm-4:30pm)
- Specializing in baby-wearing and offer on-going, intimate instruction on baby-wearing techniques
- Baby supplies and toys are carefully selected to encourage simple and healthy living. With urban families and small apartments in mind, their goal is to provide high-quality, safe, and necessary basics that support intuitive parenting and inspire parents to engage with their children.
- Located in Greenpoint/Williamsburg
- Monthly FREE DOULA/Placenta Encapsulation Info Sessions – next: Weds, July 11 1pm-2pm
- “All things Breastfeeding: Your one stop shop for all your breastfeeding needs”
- Apparel, Pumps, Supplies, and more!
**See our Resources section for Midwives/OBGYN’s with whom we closely work**
Attending births is like growing roses. You have to marvel at the ones that just open up and bloom at the first kiss of the sun but you wouldn’t dream of pulling open the petals of the tightly closed buds and forcing them to blossom to your time line.
~ Gloria Lemay